More Office Paper Facts - More Reasons to Scan
Think about these office paper facts:
- The average U.S. office worker prints 10,000 pages per year.
- A recent study showed that 45% of the paper printed in offices ends up in a bin by the end of the day. This less than one day lifespan is the fate of a trillion sheets of paper per year worldwide.
- Americans discard 4 million tons of office paper every year - enough to build a 12 foot high wall of paper from New York to California.
- If the United States cut office paper use by just 10% it would prevent the emission of 1.6 million tons of greenhouse gases - th eequivalent of taking 280,000 cars off the road.
- Making a ton of virgin paper requires 3,688 lbs. of wood, 24,000 gallons of water, 216 lbs. of salt cake and 76 lbs of soda ash. We then have to treat and dispose of 84lbs. of air pollutants, 36lbs of water pollutants and 176 lbs. of solid waste.
- Half the world's forest have already been cleared or burned, and 80% of what's left has been seriously degraded.
- And did you consider this...If you were to fill up a tank of your car with Hewlett Packard or Lexmark Ink, it would cost $100,000.
What can you do?
Start scanning records, invoices, forms, and any other documents you use in your office. Instead of photocopying and mailing a document to an individual, retrieve the scanned image and email it to that person.
Not sure whether to Outsource or Do-It-Yoruself, read this latest blog article to learn more.