In the healthcare industry, not having access to information when you need it can have serious implications – sometimes fatal. If a doctor needs to review a patient’s record in an emergency situation, they need to have the access and availability to do so.
Due to federal mandates, we’re seeing an increase in the amount of digital health records. But there’s still plenty of information that exists outside core health information technology (HIT) applications, meaning that information is not always accessible when healthcare staff needs it.
Fortunately, many healthcare organizations have found that an Enterprise Content Management (ECM) solution for healthcare exists to remedy these maladies.
This ECM solution works to ensure that any and all information is readily available to clinicians and staff within the applications they already use and know. The results? Improvements in patient care and service while simultaneously reducing operational costs.
Having a healthcare ECM solution will:
- Extend the value of existing IT investments (present patient information through emergency medical records [EMRs])
- Save time and resources while reducing risk in health information management (HIM), such as information control and automation
- Support informed care with clinical device integration (data from disparate systems)
- Realize timelier reimbursements (work only on exceptions)
Additionally, our ECM solutions offer a full-featured information management suite that can scale to all areas of an organization, supporting thousands of end-users. More importantly, it offers healthcare-specific functionality to meet clinical and business departmental needs. Because it integrates with existing software applications — including the EMR and ERP — our ECM solutions allow users to leverage existing IT expenditures and keep users in one consistent, productive application environment.
ECM solutions for healthcare organizations also reduce costs while maintaining high levels of care and service in:
- Health information management with secure electronic storage of patient information
- Clinical care by uniting ultrasound images and data with the EMR
- Patient financial services with automated management of financial documentation and data
- Administration with automated workflow for accounting, finance and human resources
These cost saving benefits are significant, especially with the recent debate over healthcare. An aging population, increased prevalence of chronic conditions and greater access to insurance as a result of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 (PPACA) will drive consumer demand for healthcare services. At the same time, reimbursements are becoming decreasingly tied to the consumption of healthcare and more aligned with the outcome. The result is less revenue for the hospital, so they have to save money somewhere. An ECM solution allows them to do so.
For more information on how an ECM solution might benefit you, contact us!